Thursday, October 2, 2014

Yesterday Was Pretty Nice

I was out for hours and hours, nobody said anything shitty to me.  The banker who helped me with my name change on my account was as friendly and welcoming as they’d always been with me when I was out as a guy.  He asked where I got my boots, and said his daughter would love a pair of them.

I went to DOL to update my gender on my driver license, and got in and out within five minutes.  It now says, “Sex: F” and doesn’t expire until 2021 or something.

While shopping for makeup, a rep who was in the store placing her product started talking to me about her own work in makeup, and asked how I did my smoky eye look.  I showed her the tutorial I based it on, and she was surprised I’d only been doing it myself for a couple weeks, saying that it was better than most eyeshadow she’d seen on other women who’ve been doing their own makeup since they were children.

When I corrected the esthetician after she misgendered me, she was aghast, and said she didn’t even realize she’d referred to me as “him.”  She apologized profusely, and said that anyone who gave me any shit about being who I really was was just ignorant.

Later, at the mall, as I headed into the women’s restroom, some random woman standing just inside the doorway smiled at me.

Later still, at Wal-mart, the cashier who was helping me find something asked a manager for help, and correctly gendered me without any slip-ups, and without my saying anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment